Road Trip in August 2015

9 replies [Last post]
Kraken's picture

Hi everyone,

I have roamed on the internet for quite some time trying to gather some info about the road trip I'm going to do in August, and landed on this nice website (I like the name) with amazing pics.

Well, I'm planning to go with 7 friends (2 girls) for a road trip in August to Leh-Ladakh (I know it is a very common thread but if i could get as much as possible info in order to have an amazing trip).

We are planning to move on the 5th of August from Bangalore. We will put our bikes in the train and direction to Chandigarh (apparently 50+hours to reach that place). I have a month for this road trip. I would like to go to Shimla from Chandigarh, then heading to Spiti valley (Can you guys recommend me some out of the bush places, less crowded where i can eventually camp.). From Spiti will be heading to Manali and from there head to Kasol, Tosh and Kheerganga (seen some pics, itz amazing !). Would like to see some really nice monasteries (not necessary the biggest but the remote ones where there is no people or very less people).

After returning to Manali, will be heading to Leh. From there, will try to get permits to go to Hanle and Tso moriri. After spending a couple of days there, will be heading back to Leh where i can start my another part of my trip to Ladakh (Nubra valley). Can you guys give me some useful tips like where to stay, can i camp there and all.. From Nubra valley, will be heading to Lamaruyu monastery and then Kargil, Srinagar, Amristar and Daramshala and finally back to Chandigarh.

Do you think it is feasable in a month ? How much do you think it will cost me (a single person) ? I need as much info as possible, please guys.

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Kraken :)

Kraken's picture

Do you think it is better to go to Ladakh or to do the Zanskar ?

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Ladakh is bit crowded in the month of August. Zanskar has got some really nice villages bit off the tourist trail. Padum is nice and then there is also a road which directly connects to Leh-Srinagar highway.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

On your first post, Yes, it is feasible in one month duration. You can first do Shimla-Kinnaur-Spiti-Manali circuit. Spend few days in Parvati and Kasol before wending into Ladakh. If you are going on your bikes then it is possible to visit Tso-kar and Tso-moriri first before reaching leh. There is a detour.

As for tents, you can pitch in anywhere in Spiti. there is lot of space.

For spiti, browse following link. it can help you outlining a plan.

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/sarahan-chitkul-%E2%80%93-kalpa-%E2%80%93-nako-tabo-kaza-%E2%80%93-key-monastery-losar-kunzum

For Ladakh, you can check the map included in this post.

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/tso-moriri-lake-mountain-lake-ladakh

One more map including Zanskar and a bit of Manali-Leh highway is here

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/enchanting-pangong-lake-leh-ladakh

Please feel free to fire more questions. will be glad to help.

+- Vishnu

Kraken's picture

Hi Vishnu,

Thanks for your quick reply.. Highly appreciated, man ! :)

Thanks for the maps.. I have also downloaded an app which is called Maps of India, can visualize maps, regions, roads even offline. But i will definitely include your maps in my mobile. :)

In Spiti, I have heard about some really remote places like Komic (do you any other places in your mind ?). I know August will be full of tourists but i couldn't plan any other date for this trip as i will be leaving India soon after my road trip. I have heard that route from Shimla to Spiti could be blocked at certain passages.

Yeah, saw Padum in the map.. If you suggest me that Zanskar is better to visit than Ladakh, i will then cancel the trip to Ladakh..

Do you know how much it will cost me (including permits, homestays, food, fuel) ? I don't mind sleeping in small homestays or even outside (will be carrying my sleeping bag).

What do you think about Hanle ? Is it worth to check out this place ? Would like to see also some wild animals if possible.. Please try to send me as many links as possible, and try to give me also as much info about those places.

Do u think i can swim in one of those lakes there ? :)

Thanks a lot, man.. Your replies are really useful for me..

Have a nice day

Cheers,

Kraken

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Well, there are many small villages in Kinnaur and Spiti.

I would suggest overnight stay at Sarahan (can stay in temple), Chitkul (homestays), Kalpa (Homestays), Nako, Tabo, Komic, Langza, Mud, Kibber.

All of these villages have home stays. you can go by in 500-600 INR per night. In Kaza, you can get cheap rooms in 300 INR. Parvati is also cheap but Ladakh is bit expensive.

Now permits are not needed so it would not any expenses.

Hanle is a nice place but litte far. With bike, there should not be any problem however i feel you would need a permit for hanle which can be easily obtained from Leh. Hanle got some home stays.

Sighting wild-animal is very rare. If lucky, you can see something near Komic or in Pin Valley.

I have no idea if its allowed to swim in these lakes. You can try swimming in spiti or in Dhankar lake which is little above Dhankar village.

Shimla to Spiti is generally through and better than Manali-Spiti road.

+- Vishnu

Kraken's picture

Hi Vish,

Thanks a lot, buddy !!! :)

Will post pics once the trip is over...

Cheers,

Kraken

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Have a good trip and looking forward to see photographs from your journey.

+- Vishnu

Brian Richardson (not verified)
Brian Richardson's picture

i am glad to hear that they have dropped the issue of permits, and now i am thinking again to pay a visit!
btw, have a safe journey to you.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Yes. Inner line permits are not longer required for visiting Ladakh.

+- Vishnu

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.