It was known as Vatsa in ancient time Jejakbhukti in medieval times and Bundelkhand from 14th Century. Khajuraho played a significant role in Indian history. The chandelas who rose to power during the early 10th century A.D made their capital at Khajuraho and decorated the place with tanks and temples. According to local tradition there were 85 temples but now around 25 survived in varying stages of preservation. The place lost its importance around 1500 A.D. Most of these temples are built of sand stone, except the chausath yogini brahma and lalgaun Mahadeva which are constructed of Granite. The temples belong to the Shaiva, Vaishnava & Jaina Sects & they mark the culmination of the central Indian temple building style revealing distinctive peculiarities of plan and elevation. These compact temples without any enclosure wall are erected on a high platform. Normally the temple consists of Garbhagriha (Sanctum),Antarala (Vestibule), Mandapa & Ardhamandapa (Entrance Porch). The Khauraho temples mark the highest development of Indian architecture design. The sculptures represented at Khajuraho include the cult images, Parivara devatas (Family deities), Apsaras or Sura-Sundaris, secular & animal sculptures can be seen at Kandariya Madadeva Temple which displays tall & slender figures with distinctive physiognomy. The erotic figures have given us the finest sculptural compositions which vibrate with the rare sensitiveness & warmth of emotion and remarkable for their sculptural quality. The most important temples at Khajuraho include Lakshman vishwanatha, Kandariya Mahadeva, Jagadambi, Chitragupta, Dulhadeo, Parshavanatha, Adinatha, Vaman, Javari and Chaturbhuja.