We saw this thread and liked it. We also hope to get help for a tour programme we are planning in the month of May.
Group size : 4 adults and 3 children aged 12, 8 and 6 years. We are vegetarians.
The tentative Tour programme is as under. Any suggestions, improvements and changes which will help us to have a better tour is appreciated.
16th May - Arrival at NJP and onward departure to Gangtok. If possible, will do some local sightseeing.
17th May - Nathula pass, Changu lake, Alpine sanctuary, Saramsa flower Pavilion- Stay ay Gangtok
18th May - Phodong-Chumthang-Lachen-Thangu ( Night stay will be better at Lachen or Thangu?)
19th May - Lachen / Thangu to Gurudongmar lake, then to Lachung for stay. (Is it safe with children to go there?)
20th May - From Lachung to Yumthang valley, hot spring and zero point, then same day back to Gangtok. (Again is it safe to go to Zero point with children? and what is the distance from Yumthung valley? how to reach it?)
21st May - Gangtok in and around and night stay
22nd May - Morning Departure to Darjeeling ( Via kalimpong or pelling?) - tiger hill, tea garden, Zoo, (What else?), then night stay.
23rd - back to Delhi
1. Is it advisable to book rooms in advance? (being peak season, it should not be a problem)
2. What will be the approximate travel cost mainly for 17th, 18th, 19th trip?
3. How safe are these roads? ( We faced problem in 'chakrata' as the roads were too narrow and kutcha.)
4. Which option is better? -Take a package deal for 18th & 19th / stay and transport seperate? ( We prefer to take car rental.)
5. Any other precautions necessary? Any luck to see snow there?