Gangtok from 16th Nov to 24th Nov 2013

48 replies [Last post]
Lubhit Singhvi's picture

Hi friends, I am planning a holidaying in sikkim in mid november for 7 days 2 adults (husband and wife). We will arrive nd return from bagodara via flight. We also plan to skip Darjeeling. Will head to gangtok directly. Few initial queries: 1. How will be the climate! 2. Need to estimate total spend excluding flights (Approx daily tour cost per day per person x 2 + avg. single room charges)x 7 3. Need to build a travel plans 4. At lot of places we need to get permit or clearance from army, without knowing which cab we would hire how to get these? 5. Whats advisable : to hire exclusive cab or share cabs for daily tours? 6. Can we reach gangtok same night if we leave from bagodara airport at 1600 / is it safe? Do we get share cabs? 7. Is nov peak season or off season? Should we book hotels prior or should we book on arrival? Thanks in advance Cheers

Thx\\ Lubhit

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Lubhit,
               My take on your queries..

1) November is pleasant in Sikkim... it will not be very cold but accessibility to high altitude remote villages might not be possible....

2) Travel expenses will depend on the kind of services you avail. A decent room for 2 person should cost 500-600 INR. Tour cost will vary the kind of transportation you take... You can find cheaper basic rooms as well...

3) You can good number of days for covering Sikkim. in 7 days you can have a trip to North Sikkim (Lachung side), East Sikkim (Nathula pass etc) and also have a trip to West Sikkim towards Pelling...

4) Permits are arranged by the tour agents at Gangtok. The same tour agent will also arrange vehicle and accommodation etc. Permits are required for visiting North Sikkim (Lachung, Yumthang etc) and for visiting Changu lake, Nathula pass.

5) Exclusive cab for daily tours will be expensive deal. For Nathula etc, you can easily get a seats in shared jeeps. For North Sikkim tour, i will recommend you to club with fellow travelers who have same itinerary... between cities you can take public transport...

6) You can get shared taxis from Siliguri to Gangtok in the late hours as well... its safe...

7) November is holiday time so it might be touristy.... As you are reaching late in Gangtok so you should do the hotel booking in advance to avoid last minute hassle...

Regards
Vishnu Kumar 

Guest (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Vishnu,

We will be travelling sikkim & darjeeling in Dec end. We will b reaching bagdogra on 24th Dec and our return flight is on 1st Jan. We are 4 adults and 1 kid ( including 2 aged parents and 2 year old kid). We are planning to spend
2 days in gangtok covering changu lake ( we will skip nathula as ppl suggested its not safe for 2 year old kid)
2 days in pelling ( will cover namchi on the way)
2 days in darjeeling

Could you please gives us important places to visit in these places. Also please let me know if any change is needed in the itinerary.

I hope we should be able to cover changu lake with 2 year old kid. He has already been to places like munnar and kodaikanal but I know changu is even more height so just wanted to confirm.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Your itinerary seems fine and pretty much do-able...I will also not recommend you to travel to Changu lake with Old age people and 2 years old.... Changu lake should not be a problem however here is the link with more information on acute mountain sickness.. I don't think any change is required in your itinerary...

http://thinkingparticle.com/forum/frequently-asked-questions-acute-mountain-sickness

link with Gangtok and Darjeeling sightseeing...

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/darjeeling-sikkim-and-jaldapara

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

Lubhit Singhvi's picture

Dear Vishnu,

Thanks for reply.

Below is my tentative plan - kindly help validate.

Sat Day 1 Arrival at Bagodara Airport at 1600 and reach hotel in Gangtok in night
Sun Day 2Gangtok - Chungthang - Lachung -Yumthang - Zero Point - Lachen (stay at night here)
Mon Day 3 Lachen - Thangu - Gurudongmar Lake - Tsho Lhamu Lake - Green Lake - Gangtok
Tue Day 4 In and around Gangtok / Monestary /Rest / if its 19th Nov than enjoy the annual festival of Lhabab Deuchen
Wed Day 5 Gangtok -Tsomgo Lake - Nathula Pass - Baba temple - Army Camp - Gangtok
Thu Day 6 West Sikkim
Fri Day 7 West Sikkim
(found in a post of Vishnu - Uttarey, Rinchenpong, Kaluk, Bermiok, Hee, Pelling, Dentam,Yuksom)

Sat Day 8 Reach by noon to a place from where I can reach Bagodara Airport on Day 9 afternoon 1200
Sun Day 9 Arrival at Bagodara airport and return to Mumbai

Queries:

1. Time it will take to reach Gangtok on day 1

2. I had made very hectic daily plan (atleast i think so), kindly help add/remove/modify the places list for Day 2, 3,5

3. Advice any specific place / monastry to visit on Day 4 as its annual festival

4. Vishnu - found these places from a post of yours. Kindly advice which all places to visit and in which sequence as i plan to start from Gangtook and reach bagodara

5. Where should i stay on Day 7, 8,

Regards

Thx\\ Lubhit

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Lubhit,
               My take on your queries..

Sat--- Reaching Gangtok by night should not be a problem but i don't think you will have enough time for arranging the permits and vehicle for the tour on Sunday...

Sun--- Will depend if you are able to get permits for North Sikkim on Saturday... No need to hit Yumthang on the same day...It will be very hectic journey. I will recommend you to stay at Lachung overnight and try Yumthang following morning and then hit Lachen and Gurudongmar...

Monday --- Green Lake etc won't be possible as those are trekking trails.

Tuesday --- Gangtok Sightseeing is very much possible....

Wednesday --- Very much possible...

6th and 7th day for West Sikkim.... you can figure out the destinations from the forum ... 2 days are sufficient for a trip to West Sikkim...

==================================
Answers
1) Bagdogra to Gangtok should take around 3-4 hours..
2) I already pointed those out.. For North Sikkim, this is what i will recommend...
     Day 1- Gangtok to Lachen or Thangu (Overnight stay)
     Day 2- Early morning visit to Gurudongmar Lake, hit back to Lachung (overnight stay)
     Day 3- Early morning visit to Yumthang Valley and then hit back to Gangtok. You will reach Gangtok by evening.

3) There are couple of  monasteries near Gangtok.. I don't have much idea on the same.. Rumtek is the most popular ones..

4) Most of the villages in West Sikkim fall enroute Pelling... You should keep pelling as your base... Accommodation options are easily available... Kaluk, Yuksom, Dentam are the most popular ones..

5) As your flight is on 1200 in the afternoon so i will recommend you to stay either at Gangtok or Darjeeling on Day 9...

Regards
Vishnu Kumar   

Lubhit Singhvi's picture

THANKS TO VISHNU AND OTHER POSTS ON THIS FORUM – THIS IS MY ITINERARY (FINAL – 1 VERSION)

16thNov 2013 Day-1  Arrival at Bagdogra airport and transfer to Gangtok. Evening free for visit M G Marg by walk. Overnight stay at hotel.

Day-2  After Breakfast start for Lachen, a beautiful small village. En route photo stop at Singhik View Point, Seven Sisters falls, Naga Falls, Bhim Nala, Manga & Chungthang. Night stay at Lachen.

Day-3  After breakfast visit Gurudongmer Lake. After lunch transfer to Lachung. Night stay at hotel.

Day-4  After Breakfast start from Lachung for Yumthang Valley (the valley of flowers). There are 24 types of rhododendron available at Yumthang. Back to hotel for Lunch. After lunch start for Gangtok. Night stay at Gangtok.

Day-5  After breakfast, in the morning, start for excursion to Tshangu Lake. Also visit to New Baba Mandir OR Excursion to Namchi & Temi Tea Garden (outer view).

Back to Gangtok and Overnight at Hotel.

Day-6 After breakfast visit Gangtok local sightseeing - Rumtek Monastery, Nehru Botanical Garden, Shanti View Pt., Do-Drul Chorten, Tibetology, Handicraft Centre & Flower Show. Back to the hotel. Night stay at hotel.

Day-7  After breakfast transfer to Pelling. Overnight stay at hotel.

Day-8  After breakfast visit at Rimbi Water Falls, Rock Garden, Khecheopalri Wishing Lake, Kangchendzonga Water Falls. After noon visit  Padmeyantse monastry and Rubdentse ruins. Night stay at hotel.

24thNov 2013 Day-9  Drop at Bagdogra airport for departure.

==========================================================================

I am now looking for making sure my itinerary works for 17th, 18thand 19thNov without any issue. Since I will be reaching Gangtok on 16that 9pm so I checked with hotel/agent/websites etc for 2N/3D travel plan i.e.Gangtok – LachenGurudongmerLachungLachungGangtok.

As per hotel reception it will cost approx. 18K for 2 pax exclusive trip for 2N/3D. As per travel agents / websites it is costing 8.6K per person i.e. 17K for 2 person for this travel on share basis.

Additionally, I checked with another travel agent from Kolkata for entire itinerary they are asking for 22K per person i.e. 44K for 2 persons.

Overall, I think Kolkata agent is charging too high for complete trip.

Advice required:

1. Provide opinion on agent asking rate for 2N/3D plan i.e. 17K for 2 person (incl. acco/food at lachen/lachung)
  2. Since, I will reach Gangtok at 9PM, I need to book the next day’s travel before reaching Gangtok, hence seeking assistance.
  3. Anyone reaching Gangtok during similar period please get in touch, we can discuss offline about itinerary
  4. As mentioned in above post by Vishnu that November will be holiday season, should I book tour for Nathula pass also prior to arrival in Gangtok.
  5. How to travel from Gangtok to Pelling ? do we get shared taxis from MG Road

Thx\\ Lubhit

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Lubhit,
                I don't see any problem with the itinerary. It is very much doable.. I am only skeptic about Gurudongmar part which is bit doubtful in the month of November... I am not sure whether route will be open all the way to Gurudongmar lake... Chances are bright though.... Rest everything is pretty much doable...

18K for a north Sikkim tour in an exclusive vehicle is a bit high but not extreme quotation....I visited 3-4 years back and at that time charges were 10K which included food, hotels etc...

22K per person for the entire tour is on higher range and it will make your travel regimeted as well...I won't recommend that... Even North Sikkim can also be arrange after arriving at Gangtok but you are reaching little late on Day 1...

My take on rest of the queries..

1) 17K for 2 person including food, hotel is reasonable figure...might be bit high but not much..
2) Answered
3) Hope you find fellow traveler from this portal.
4) I don't think you need to book Nathula tour in Advance.. Getting permits should not be an issue.
5) YES, you can get shared Taxis from Gangtok to Pelling...

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

Lubhit Singhvi's picture

Dear Vishnu,

Now, am approaching the day to begin travel to Sikkim.

Hence, last few queries:

1. How to travel from Bagdogra Airport (1600 IST) to Gangtok ? Directly or Via Siliguri. If via Siliguri, where should we go within Siliguri to get shared Taxi or Volvo or Good buses (if any)

2. How is the climate currently in Gangtok, North Sikkim & Nathula Pass side ? Will we be able to see and play with snow ? If yes, do we get snow/skiing suits on rent? Is it raining in Sikkim/Around Gangtok - currently.

3. I have booked a north Sikkim tour at 17K from a tour and travel firm in Gangtok (incl. Zero point). As I will go to Zero Point on 19th Nov, need some contact number where i can check that route is open for Zero Point and driver is not fooling me en-route stating that its closed. Also, can you please mention if Zero Point is accessible currently.

4. Any hotel recommendations for Pelling? I will be booking directly after reaching there.

5. Any recommendation to book nathula pass

6. Any recommendation to organize a surprise event at Gangtok ? Since, i currently don't know much about Gangtok in terms whats available and what can be organised......just wanted your suggestion so that i can organise anniversary surprise for my spouse.

Thx\\ Lubhit

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Lubhit,

1) You can get direct taxi (Sumo kind of) from Bagdogra Airport to Gangtok but it might not be shared one. The best would be to reach Siliguri Taxi Stand and then catch one of those frequently running shared taxis to Gangtok (in case if  you are in strict budget) otherwise you can hire a private taxi from Bagdogra itself... There are also chances to get shared taxi from Bagdogra but those are rare...

2) I don't stay in Sikkim so can not comment on that... Chances of Snow are bleak however fresh snow can be expected around Nathula pass....

3) In my opinion, Zero point should be accessible.... There will not that much snow which may block the connectivity to Zero Point...

4) Pelling has got wide range of accommodation options but i personally don't have any contact number to book those in advance...

http://thinkingparticle.com/forum/itinerary-sikkim-12-days-diwali

above thread got some pointers..

5) Nathula pass tour can be easily arranged from any tour agent at Gangtok (MG road).... some numbers on the thread below..

http://thinkingparticle.com/forum/valuable-inputs-travelers-gangtok-sikkim

6) That's a tough one for me... not the right person to comment on that... :)... don't know much about pleasant surprises....

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

AADIL (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Vishnu,

I have planned a trip to Gangtok for 5 days, we reach there on 13th afternoon, leave on 17th noon.
This is my first trip to Gangtok, am going with my wife.Hotel bookings are done, we are staying at Hotel Alaya.
Wanted to know the most economic tour plan for these 5 days, we want to visit Chhangu Lake at least and if possible Lachunga Lachen also (are share cabs available to these places).
Budget is tight and we dont mind walking/trekking to places to enjoy the beauty.

If you can help me out, it would be awesome!!!

Thanks mate...

Aadil.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Aadil,
              Getting shared taxi for the tour to Nathula pass, Changu lake is generally not a problem... Any tour agent in Gangtok will arrange seats for you guys however getting shared transport for North Sikkim might be a hitch...

Lachen/ Lachung are very much possible during November.... Talk to tour agents in Gangtok, if possible they may club you guys with any other group going to North Sikkim.... that is the best way to cut down travel expenses...

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

sejal (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi,

I am planning to visit Sikkim either in Nov last week or December last week. Please suggest between these two months which one is the best bet in terms of getting better view as I am planning to visit Gangtok, Nathula Pass, Pelling and north sikkim.

Thanks

Sejal

vishnu.kumar7's picture

In all the aspects, November is better than December...That said, December has got possibilities of witnessing snow-fall..

yogee_sikkim's picture

sejal,

north sikkim wont be worth visiting in dec end..its better you plan in november end

thank you and regards,

yogesh sapkota

namroz ahmed khan (not verified)
Guest's picture

My self with family (+5) is planning for Gangtok by 20th Nov 2014 for 7 days.Pl let me know whether the time is suitable to visit , can we visit nathula pass,changu lake,and pelling. what will be the expeneses per head approx.Do we require to book hotel priorr to our arrival in Gangtok> should we avail in private vehicles or bus services.can u give the hotel tariff of more or less good hotel per room per night.

regards n.a.khan

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Yes, Nathula pass, Pelling, Changu lake will be possible in the month of November. per head expenses will largely depend on your travel style.

I will send you a separate mail in this regard.

+- Vishnu

yogesh (not verified)
Guest's picture

dear namroz ahmed khan ,

as your group size is 6 it is suggested you use an exclusive vehicle(toyata innova/mahindra xylo) for transport during your sikkim trip.,it will be a vehicle in disposal.

visiting nathula by a shared cab with 10 pax is 1000 per head which on an innova will cost you only around 7.5k including restricted area permits and environmental cess..

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Thanks for pitching in Yogesh and adding your inputs.

+- Vishnu

Guest (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Vishnu. 

This is Sagar. I'm planning to Gangtok on Nov 12 with my friend. We are planning to stay in Gangtok for 2 nyts. So could you please tell me what are the places I can visit. Also please let me know what is the best means of transport that comes in budget. 

Thank you

yogee_sikkim's picture

hey sagar,

on the first day you could do local sightseeing ..the places are pretty close by so you can visit some places by walk but its gonna be tough walking in the hills so hire a wagon r to do that,

on the other day you can take the nathula pass shared trip.book this trip the day you reach gangtok

thank you and regards,

yogesh sapkota

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Thanks for adding your inputs, Yogesh.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Please see the comment below by Yogesh.

arvind (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi
I am planning in nov.for 4 nights 5 days. Is it good time and how can i plan my iternary and suggest local tou operator.
Thanks

yogee_sikkim's picture

you amy plan for any two destinations from gangtok pelling darjeeling in a 4n/5d trip

thank you and regards,

yogesh sapkota

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Dropped an email with the contact details of an agency. please revert back.

+- Vishnu

ATEEQ (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Vishnu,

Following is the itinerary I made for Sikkim.  Will be travelling with family (2 Adults, 2 Children - 12yr Boy, 7yr Girl).  Transportation and hotel bookings will be taken care of by my tour operator.....  kinldy suggest if the itinerary is good enough to make the tour go smoothly ..... do we get enough rest in it......?

Day 1 (13th Oct Tue) : Bagdora to Gangtok (Night stay in Gangtok)

Day 2 (14th Oct Wed): Gangtok to Nathula Pass via Tsomgo Lake (Night stay in Gangtok)

Day 3 (15th Oct Thu): Gangtok to Lachen (Night stay in Lachen)

Day 4 (16th Oct Fri):   Lachen to Gurudongmar Lake

Gurudongmar Lake to Lachung (Night stay in Lachung)

Day 5 (17th Oct Sat):   Lachung to Zero Point via Yumthang Valley (Night stay in Lachung)

Day 6 (18th Oct Sun): Lachung to Pelling (Night stay in Pelling)

Day 7 (19th Oct Mon): Pelling to Yuksom (Night stay in Pelling)

Day 8 (20th Oct Tue): Pelling to Ravangla (Night stay in Ravangla)

Day 9 (21st Oct Wed): Ravangla to Bagdora

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Yes. it looks OK to me.

+- Vishnu

ateeq_m's picture

THANK YOU SO MUCH....... :)

Anoop Singh (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi friends, I am planning a holiday in sikkim in from 21 to 27 of Oct. for 7 days 2 adults . We will arrive and return from bagdogra via flight.

Our current itinerary plan is as follows:

21st Oct 2015 Day-1  Arrival at Bagdogra airport and transfer to Gangtok.  Evening free to roam around M G Road (Mall) or local Shopping center - Over Night stay at Gangtok

Day-2   Excursion to Tsmogo lake , Baba Mandir and Nathula Pass (Full day) -Over Night stay at Gangtok

Day-3  Early morning breakfast, Reach Lachen late afternoon / early evening - The snow capped peaks, the Shingbha wild life sanctuary, Gurudongmar              Lake, Chopta Valley, Thangu – Check into a hotel – Evening free to stroll and visit the Lepcha Village – Overnight stay at Hotel in Lachen.

Day-4  Early morning breakfast – Visit to Gurudongmar Lake – After lunch drive to Lachung – Chopta Valley and Thangu are the other places of                         interest Check into hotel at Lachung - Evening free to visit Lachung Monastery - Overnight stay at Hotel at Lachung.

Day-5 After breakfast drive towards Yumthang situated at an elevation of nearly 11800 feet - On the way visit to the famous hot spring which is known                for its curative properties of skin diseases - Return to hotel at Lachung for Lunch – Transfer to Gangtok – Reach Gangtok in the evening – Check              into hotel – Night stay at Gangtok.

Day-6 After breakfast visit Gangtok local sightseeing - Rumtek Monastery, Nehru Botanical Garden, ShantiView Pt., Do-                               Drul Chorten, Tibetology, Handicraft Centre & Flower Show. Back to the hotel. Night stay at hotel.

27thOct 2015 Day-7  Drop at Bagdogra airport for departure.

Queries:

1. Is there any local transport like bus or something from gangtok to lachen and Is there any further local transport in lachen to cover north     sikkim trip?

2. If there is no such public transport then can we get shared taxi for 2N/3D ie from 23 to 25 Oct for North sikkim trip?

3. Can we get home stay experience at Lachen?

4. According to you what should be the minimum budget for the above mentioned trip excluding flight fares for 2 person?

5. If I am missing something good nearby in my itinerary then Kindly suggest.

Regards

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi,

Here is my take on your itinerary.

1) Buses are not available for North Sikkim. Public transport is very thin. most of the tourists hire the private taxi for entire tour in North Sikkim.

2) I do not think you can get shared taxi. you can club with other tourists.

3) Yes. homestays are available in Lachen.

4) depends a lot on your travel style. accommodation tariff varies a lot.

5) your itinerary seems very much do-able.

+- Vishnu

ATEEQ (not verified)
Guest's picture

Dear Anoop,

You are visiting a place which will remain in your memory for a very long time..... i went through almost all the blogs of this place.....

I just suggest you to get it done through some travel agent since you are covering around 700km in first 5 days.  It will save you, your lot of time.

Unfortunately, after confirming almost everything I dropped my north sikkim itinerary when my agent informed me that my daughter, who is 7 years will not be allowed to visit gurudongmar. (Children below 10 and elders above 65 are not allowed).

Instead, Im taking Bagdogra - Sillery Gaon - Rishi Khola - Zuluk - Gangtok (Via Nathang) - Darjeeling - Bagdogra route.

Hope you have a nice holiday.....

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Ateeq... glad to hear back from you. Hopefully next time you can make to the Gurudongmar Lake..

Keep sharing your memories with us.

+- Vishnu

ateeq_m's picture

Thank you vishnu. Thank you so much for all your help.... and thank you for the kind heart and the time you are spending in guiding people who you do not know at all.........

I'm sorry, i don't know why.... last time also you helped me in chalking out itinerary for Leh but my children refused to travel to that place after seeing the pictures (cos... they wanted greenery)..... then I had to opt for Kashmir only.....

Will keep on troubling you every year........hope you don't mind...... 

cheers

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hey Ateeq,

Ofcourse i remember you. I am glad to see you back. I hope you had good time in Kashmir. I am looking forward to see more of your queries here and will be happy to help.

+- Vishnu

Anoop Singh (not verified)
Guest's picture

Thanks alot for your valuable input.

Few more queries I have,

What is the procedure for booking Home stay at lachen. Is there any online site or have to ask localy over there??

If we plan to go Nathula Pass in shared Taxi, then who takes care for the entry pass and all??

yogee_sikkim's picture

anoop,

you can reach lachen and book a lodge/guesthouse..or the driver will have his contracts and he will take you there.

for nathula go to JN Road stand in vajra area 1km from main town a day before and book a seat.

thank you and regards,

yogesh sapkota

ateeq_m's picture

Greetings to Vishnu and all members and non members of Thinking particle. 

Sharing the experience of our memorable 9 day trip to South Sikkim.....

the itinerary: Bagdogra - Sillery GaonReshi KholaZulukGangtok – Darjeeling – Bagdogra.

unlike north this place (south SikkimSillery Gaon, Rishi Khola & Zuluk) is not frequented by much tourists ....... All three places have natural beauty, very scenic and picturesque...... 

You have no other option but home-stays in Sillery Gaon, Rishi-Khola and Zuluk.  You will love staying there, they are very clean.  Normal food is cooked with natural taste...., and with weather so cold you will have it tummy full..... Compare to the home stay we had in Dhampus (Nepal), the stays in Sikkim are awesome, particularly the food and hospitality. 

Sillery Gaon (New Darjeeling) – Located in north of West Bengal bordering south Sikkim.  It takes 3 hours from Bagdogra to reach Sillery Gaon diversion on Pedong Reshi Road..... 3 ½ km journey after the diversion is the worst.... it’s a rocky road... only 4 wheel can move on it.....it took us 30 minutes to cover this 3 ½ km ....... Kanchenjunga looks very beautiful from here.........Ramitey point is 30-35 minutes walk from the Gaon (can use vehicle also)..........should be very careful of leeches at Ramitey Point...... we spent only a few minutes there before leeches started biting us.........  

Reshi Khola – 40 mintures drive from Sillery Gaon diversion....The place my family enjoyed the most........ playing with children in this crystal clear reshi water is something unforgetable......A beautiful river for all to enjoy.... GOD’s gift to Sikkim.......

Zuluk – The coldest place I ever had been to.... colorful clouds while sunset was phenomenal..........

While travelling from Zuluk to Gangtok we experienced the first snow fall of the season.... you will get to see breath taking mountain views while passing through this beautiful border area......... you get a chance to speak with our soldiers... they may be tough while dealing with enemy but their hearts are very soft....they speak out their hearts and give suggestions to advices to children...... they have been posted in thousands in this border area  .... Important places of interest you come across while on this road are Zigzag roads from Thambi View point .......  Baba Mandir.... Tsomgo River.... you will see herds of yaks...... Unfortunately we could not get the pass to Nathula which is a must visit on this route..... Issuing of passes for tourists taking Zuluk route to Gangtok are stopped for the time being.  You have to get it in Gangtok and come back again.....

Gangtok – A beautiful tourist spot..... Had been to Botanical Garden, Flower Exhibition Centre,  Flower Excavation Centre and enjoyed a spectacular Kanchenjunga view from Tashi View Point.  You can view Kanchenjunga from Ganesh Tok also.

Gangtok to Darjeeling route is something unforgettable if you do rafting in Teesta...... it is THE BEST....  there are two rides... opt for the longer one (Cost for short ride is INR 3,500 and longer one is INR 4,500).  You will get a chance to test your swimming ability against Teesta current since they let you swim before coming back to shore after rafting.

Like in most tourist places, you will have adventure sports in Darjeeling too.  Paragliding and Mountaineering are most opted for .... Zoological Park is one of few best in India...... They will pickup you up at 4 in the morning for Tiger hill visit for sunrise.... Ropeway is good for bird eye view of Darjeeling (It is not operational on  every 19th for maintenance).......Missed experiencing toy train ride.......

There are so many other places of interest in all the above locations.  Mentioned ones are those we visited.....

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Ateeq,

I am extremely glad to read about your trip report..Happy to hear that you had awesome time. your inputs will also help fellow travelers a lot.

I will look forward for your active participation in the forum.

+- Vishnu

ranjith (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi,

I am planning for a backpack trip to gangtok from bangalore during march/april. I will be travelling alone and would like to stay in gangtok/sikkim for a week. would like to know if its good to travel alone, i am not worried about safety or other things but about tavelling with in sikkim, may be from gangtok to pillong or to nathula pass. what would you suggest? also would like to know if you know any backpack hostels in and around gangtok. i am fine with basic accomidation. 

Thanks,

Ranjith.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Sikkim is very safe for solo travelers. you can stay in Gangtok for sometime. you can go to pelling using public transport and stay in home stays. You can also have a day trip (using shared taxis) to Nathula pass, Baba mandir etc. basic accommodations are everywhere. Sikkim is also not bad for hitch-hiking. locals are very friendly.

+- Vishnu

ATEEQ (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Ranjith,

You are travelling to the land where people are happy to see guests, and welcome them with love.... I have not been to pelling to suggest on that route ......but  zuluk route is too good to miss....  you can hire a bike in Darjeeling and travel to gangtok directly.  In Gangtok approach any authorized travel agent for arranging you pass for nathula....leave for nathula in the morning and take zuluk route on way back to darjeeling, .....you bikevia Aritar, Reshi Khola, Sillery Gaon and kalimpong..... you have home-stays almost every stop here to take care of your food and accommodation...... 

Enjoy

Ateeq

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Hi Ateeq,

Thanks for pitching in and adding your inputs.. it is very helpful for fellow travelers.

+- Vishnu

Mukit (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi,

We are planning(4 people) to visit North Sikkim in 1st week of November. Is it possible to visit North Sikkim at that time ? Will it be too snowy ?

Also, could you please give me some names of Travel Agency who can provide me package for North Sikkim ?

Thanks 

Mukit

vishnu.kumar7's picture

November is really good time. North Sikkim is very much possible. There will be hardly any snow in November. about packaged tour, i will send you details.

+- Vishnu

Guest (not verified)
Guest's picture

Hi Vishnu

I'm planning to Gangtok on Nov 12 with my friend. We are planning to stay in Gangtok for 2 nyts. So could you please tell me what are the places I can visit. Also please let me know what is the best means of transport that comes in budget. 

Thank you

vishnu.kumar7's picture

For 2 nights, i will recommend a day tour to Nathula pass and 1 day sight seeing. for nathula pass you can take shared jeep and for city sight seeing, you can walk or take city buses etc.

cpjain (not verified)
Guest's picture

I am interested to go to Gangtok in my personal vehicle Wagon R. Is it permitted to go to gangtok/changu lake/namchi/chardham in personal vehicle having regn of jharkhand.

vishnu.kumar7's picture

Nope. its not allowed. Only Sikkim registered vehicles are allowed.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.